Prepare Your Home for This Week’s Heavy Rain
As we prepare for the heavy rains coming this week from the remnants of Hurricane Ida, we’d like to share a few helpful tips below for checking the readiness of your home. Correcting even just one of these small items can help prevent a major issue during a heavy rain event.
Tips to Prepare Your Home for Heavy Rain
- Check rain gutters and downspouts. Clear any debris from the gutter. Make sure downspout extensions are firmly attached, extended away from the foundation, and not damaged at the end to prevent water flow.
- Check that your sump pump discharge pipe is clear of obstruction and extended away from the foundation and past any deep edging of a mulch bed.
- Clear any debris from basement window wells.
- Check for any impediment in water conveying swales and stormwater management areas. Remove any blockage under fences, and remove any stored or temporary items from swales.
- Check stormwater inlets to make sure the grate is not covered by leaves or other organic debris.
- Check that all doors and windows in your home are fully closed and latched.
- Check that your sump pump is plugged in and working properly. Make sure the receptacle is not overloaded by having other equipment plugged into the same receptacle as the pump. It may be necessary to unplug nonessential items from the sump pump receptacle during heavy rains.
- If you have a portable generator, make sure it’s working properly and has plenty of fuel in the event of a power outage.
Be prepared, and stay safe!